[ros-users] rviz / tf fixed frame problem

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Wed Jun 9 17:18:25 UTC 2010

Ugo,
Your symptoms suggest that your tree is being broken into two pieces.
 Usually this is a result of trying to attach two frames as parents of the
same frame which is not allowed.  Depending when you query it's a race
condition as to which was updated more recently.  Often it will appear as if
only one is connected due to sequencing.

For debugging I'd suggest the following.  Is the forearm the root of your
transforms published by the robot_state_publisher?  Can you attach the
output of `rosrun tf view_frames` both before and after you run the static
transfrom broadcaster?  Also with the broadcaster running can you make sure
that roswtf is not complaining about anything tf releated.

Tully

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problem displaying some /tf in rviz. I'm working on
> displaying a hand in rviz.
>
> Here is the situation:
> I have a robot_state_publisher transforming joint_datas to tf, and I can
> view the model in rviz, using a frame published by the
> robot_state_publisher (/srh/position/shadow_forearm). This works fine, I
> see my whole hand, I can move the fingers, etc...
>
> I'm then publishing a fixed transform: <node pkg="tf"
> type="static_transform_publisher" name="fixed_frame_pos_pub" args="0 0 0
> 0 0 0 fixed  /srh/position/shadow_forearm 20" /> which transforms the
> /srh/position/shadow_forearm to /fixed. This fixed transform is published.
> When I view this new /tf in rviz, the forearm goes to /fixed frame which
> is fine, but I get errors for all the other joints saying "No transform
> from [srh/position/lfdistal] to [/fixed]". The other joints are then not
> displayed (no transform).
>
> However, the transform from shadow_forearm to fixed is published and the
> transform from the rest of the joints to shadow_forearm are published as
> well.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> (I hope I was clear :S)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ugo
>
> --
> Ugo Cupcic         |  Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
> Software Engineer      251 Liverpool Road
> need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.