[ros-users] Wireless router/card recommendations

Antons Rebguns arebgun at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 03:42:39 UTC 2010

Eric,

Thank you so much for reporting your findings. They mirror exactly what I was seeing on our network. We also have an
Intel 4965agn card on the robot, but we never got it to work in N mode, the maximum reported speed is always 54mbit/s.
Although we were getting this maximum speed since we had very good signal strength and were close to the access point.

I did try the setup suggested by Cedric, where you connect an access point directly to your ethernet port and thus
bypass any driver issues. It does work better, we were seeing about speeds around 75mbit/s via TCP and 95mbit/s via UDP
(which might go higher, the AP we had lying around had 10/100 ethernet port). So, I think it will be our preferred setup
going forward unless we find some wifi card that can do N speeds under Linux.

We will be trying the 5GHz band in the next week or two, once we get the equipment, I will report back once I get some data.

Anton