[ros-users] Improving Stack Installation

Morgan Quigley mquigley at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 14 17:03:41 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,

> This is probably confusing for people who did not build from SVN since
> things can be installed using apt-get. How can this be improved?

I've been worrying about this for a while too. The current rosinstall
system is a middle ground in terms of power vs. ease-of-use: it allows
for fairly complex installations (overlays, etc.) but still requires
some general knowledge of unix command line tools.

> If there is more than one item which is most likely the primary path
> where new stacks should be installed?
> The first or the last element in $ROS_PACKAGE_PATH?

> Is there a way to determine the full path of the primary stack directory?
> $ROS_PACKAGE_PATH returns a list that usually has one item.

There are so many ways to use ROS that it's difficult to find
something which satisfies everyone. Many people, for example, have
multiple installations of ROS on their machine (stable versions,
unstable versions, etc.). Developers make up about 100% of the ROS
community now, and thus many/most/all people need to have multiple
versions of their own stacks on their systems, particularly once they
make releases and need to keep stable/unstable branches going.

That being said, I think we can do better in terms of making the
general collaboration use-case simpler ("find code -> checkout code ->
build code -> run code"), and we're working towards that. I'm happy to
discuss this further, but let's move to the ros-developers list.

Cheers,
Morgan