[ros-users] Improving Stack Installation

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Mon Jun 14 17:26:01 UTC 2010

hi Bill,

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote:
> So I was reading the documentation one day and I saw this.
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Installation/Ubuntu/Deb
> sudo apt-get install ros-boxturtle-slam-gmapping
>
> This appears to install the slam-gmapping stack in a debian compatible
> form that is very appealing for some of our work. Unfortunately, it does
> not currently work with our stacks. Will/Could non Willow Garage stacks
> be added in the future or should we look at rolling our own system?
>
> Is there anything that is special about the process of building .deb
> files that could be documented or it is just using standard debian
> package management tools?

We're planning to provide our deb-building toolchain for use by
others, but aren't quite ready yet.  We need to iron some wrinkles and
write some documentation before that toolchain will be usable by
people outside Willow.

> This brings to mind another stack question, right now it appears that
> there is no way to easily determine what is the installation directory
> for a stack.

Are you looking for 'rosstack find foo' (http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosstack) ?

	brian.