[ros-users] rviz plugin

Josh Faust jfaust at willowgarage.com
Tue Jun 22 18:06:58 UTC 2010

Right now the only things that are pluggable are displays and point cloud
transformers (used mainly for generating color from different channels).
 This makes writing plugins that interact with the scene through
selection/etc. impossible to do nicely (it is possible to hack together, but
only in a way that forces a crash whenever rviz exits).

That said, there are examples of an rviz plugin in the
motion_planning_rviz_plugin and mapping_rviz_plugin packages.  The builtin
displays are also plugins.  While the current API is likely to remain
stable, writing plugins is currently use-at-your-own-risk, and figuring out
how to do things will likely involve delving into the source.

Josh