[ros-users] AMCL, Map Server, Stage World file.

Narasimhan narasimhan1990 at yahoo.co.in
Mon Jun 28 20:02:58 UTC 2010

Brian Gerkey-2 wrote:

> You probably have the resolution set incorrectly, but understandably
> so, in map.yaml.  In the stage .world file, 'resolution' determines
> the resolution of the underlying grid that's used for simulation.  The
> resolution of a bitmap that you load (for example, to be used as a
> background map), is determined by the combination of the bitmap's size
> in pixels, and the size that you specify for the bitmap.
>
> In this case, you're using cave.pgm, which I assume was created from
> Stage's cave.png, which is 500x500 pixels.  Given the size you're
> setting, 54.0x58.7, the map resolution is about 0.11 m/pixel.  That's
> the value you want to put in map.yaml.

thank u very much Brian Gerkey-2. ur answer was very useful. now i
successfully completed the navigation setup simulation using stage.
there's one problem that i just couldn't figure it out. in nav_view the
robot always starts at the left botton corner of the map regardless of what
pose i set in .world file. but the robot views obstacles as it is in stage.
i overcame the problem by restricting the stage map to the 1st quadrant and
changing the origin in the map.yaml file to match the robot pose in .world
file. here's abstracts of the edited files. all params.yaml and .xml files
are from move_base_stage package.

willow.world file
# load an environment bitmap
floorplan
(
  name "iitm"
  bitmap "willow-full.pgm"
  size3 [108 117.4 0.5]
  pose [54 58.7 0]
)

# throw in a robot
pr2( pose [21 19 0] name "pr2" color "blue")

willow.yaml file
image: willow-full.pgm
resolution: 0.2
origin: [-21.000000, -19.000000, 0.000000]

willow.launch
<launch>
  <master auto="start"/>

  <include file="$(find test2)/move_base.xml"/>
  <node name="map_server" pkg="map_server" type="map_server" args="$(find
test2)/world/willow.yaml" />
  <node pkg="stage" type="stageros" name="stageros" args="$(find
test2)/world/willow.world" respawn="false" >

  </node>
  <include file="$(find test2)/amcl_node.xml"/>
  <include file="$(find test2)/nav_view.xml"/>
</launch>

using the above in nav_view the position of robot is correct but its point
cload is still at the botton left corner of map. but in rviz it works fine.

i guess there's a simpler way than what i have used. do reply if any of u
know it.