[ros-users] ASCII STL Files

Morgan Quigley mquigley at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 28 21:21:46 UTC 2010

Hi David,

I'm not sure where you're getting your STL files from, but in
SolidWorks, you can specify if you want ASCII or binary when you
export (it's buried in an "options" panel in the "save as..." dialog).

You could also try MeshLab. It's installable via apt-get on Ubuntu
Lucid and has all sorts of features, perhaps even translating STL
files.

-Morgan