[ros-users] running ROS on FreeBSD

Rene Ladan rene at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 9 23:15:07 UTC 2010

Hi list,

I'm rather new to ROS. It's being used at work for a few weeks now,
but that didn't lower my enthusiasm for it.

Out of curiosity, I started looking if it would be feasible to run ROS
on FreeBSD. I made some patches against the core ROS code (
https://code.ros.org/svn/ros/stacks/ros/tags/latest ). Currently it
can bootstrap itself (including installing packages with pkg_add) up
to roslib. It encounters some compile errors related to boost there,
these are most likely due to search paths being different than
expected.

The patch [1] is currently work-in-progress. Once I can get it to
bootstrap and install contributed stacks, I'll look into making ROS
packages for FreeBSD (the other way around) so that FreeBSD users can
do something like "pkg_add -r ros-core".

[1] : ftp://rene-ladan.nl/pub/ros/

Regards,
Rene
--