[ros-users] driver implementation

Marti Morta mmorta at iri.upc.edu
Wed Mar 10 11:40:11 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am a new ROS user and in the group where I am involved, we are
considering to use ROS as a communication middleware for a mobile
platform. We have already read the documentation and done the main
tutorials.

We would like to develop the drivers for the platform and also for the
different sensors on board. We have checked the hokuyo_node driver
source code and we've seen that it depends on the classes driver and
driver_node. We were thinking on developing our drivers following the
same architecture, by inheriting from these two classes.

However, we have seen in the driver_common wiki documentation that these
classes are immature and for internal use. We were wondering which is
the best way to implement our drivers. We would like to avoid data
publishing without using the driver hierarchy as we have seen in other
driver implementations.

regards,

Martí

Martí Morta Garriga 			  mmorta at iri.upc.edu
Institut de Robòtica i Informàtica Industrial       CSIC-UPC
Llorens i Artigas 4-6, 2a pl.         08028 Barcelona, Spain