[ros-users] Tutorials on simulating PR2 / "high level" tutorials in general

Stefan Kohlbrecher stefan.kohlbrecher at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 12 16:28:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

after a quick fix for Box Turtle involving pr2_simulator (thanks Ken),
I'm now trying out pr2 + gazebo in simulation. Unfortunately, it seems
that the tutorials are severly outdated (or I'm doing something
stupid). I did a fresh Box Turtle install. I can successfully do the
following:

"roslaunch gazebo_worlds empty_world.launch"
-Starts gazebo with empty world, as expected

"roslaunch pr2_gazebo pr2.launch"
-Adds pr2 in Gazebo, as expected. Joints are moving into a default
position. rospack complains about missing [wifi_ddwrt] of [webui], but
I figure this shouldn't be a problem in simulation.

Now, I'd like to do something simple like driving the mobile base
around ( e.g. http://www.ros.org/wiki/pr2_simulator/Tutorials/TeleopBaseControllerPR2InSimulation
).
Step 3 as described in the tutorial doesn't work, because
pr2_default_controllers does not exist. The info output when launching
pr2.launch suggests that "base_odometry" and "base_controller" are now
loaded by default.
Step 4 also does not work, because "teleop_base" does not exist. I
searched for "teleop" and found "pr2_teleop" providing
"teleop_base_keyboard". Launching this, I can now teleoperate the
mobile base (yay!).

To make a long story short, I understand that the tutorials can't be
kept up to date 'automatically', so wouldn't it make sense to at least
systematically note the last ROS version they were tested with? This
certainly would help to get an indication how likely one is to succeed
in using a given tutorial. I haven't succeeded in applying many of
them with Box Turtle, because quite a lot of the stuff described has
changed a lot (that, or I'm stupid ;) ).

regards,
Stefan