[ros-users] urdf frame placement

Miguel Prada miguel.register at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:41:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm quite new to ROS and I'm trying to describe a simple robot manipulator using urdf format.

I'm having some trouble understanding the convention used (and the parameters involved), and I just wanted to ask why is it that D-H convention is not used. Specially with it being a standard for describing manipulators, as far as I know.

For example, I find it quite confusing that the dimensions of the links are specified inside the joint element.

Also, is the world frame oriented like it's shown on the schematic on the urdf tutorial page? With the y axis pointing upwards?

Thanks,
Miguel.