[ros-users] Novint Falcon, HAPI and ROS

cuenta altas miguel.register at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:50:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to use HAPI <http://www.h3dapi.org/> to create a node that
manages a Novint Falcon haptic device.

The problem is that haptic rendering doesn't work at all when I manage the
device from a ROS node, while almost the same code (without all the ROS
stuff) works fine from a standalone process.

I know that HAPI internally spawns a separate thread to manage the device at
high frequencies (~1 kHz). I also know that the way it does it is through
another library (distributed with HAPI) named H3DUtil, which in turn uses
pthreads. I suspect there must be some kind of interference between the
thread that manages the haptic device and ROS, but I'm not comfortable
enough with any of them (HAPI or ROS) to be able to speculate any further.

Has anyone had any experience with this library before and experienced
similar problems? And if nobody has, does somebody have any suggestion on
which way should I go to try to fix this?

Best,
Miguel.