[ros-users] Digital Camera 1394 in ROS?

Rosen Diankov rosen.diankov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 15:29:17 UTC 2010

hi jack,

I'm sorry you've been having so many problems with cameradc1394,
perhaps we can come up with a solution that will work well for you.

- You say it seems to work but not easy to install? Typing 'rosmake
cameradc1394'  should make and install everything for you, so are you
having trouble compiling things?

- i think the libdc1394v2 package is for systems that do not have
libdc1394 version 2 installed, otherwise the library itself should be
stable.

- cameradc1394 links the the ROS image libraries in order to
serialize/convert the message correctly, display the image, and
undistort it (radial distortion). You can disable the display
dynamically, so the the only other place where opencv would be used is
for undistortion and sending messages. Fortunately, both of these are
not that heavy on computation, so your system should handle it.

- i'm pretty sure the svn checkout command on sourceforge points to
the correct code:
svn co https://cmu-ros-pkg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cmu-ros-pkg cmu-ros-pkg

The 'trunk' folder might be making things a little confusing for you,
therefore i recommend:

svn co https://cmu-ros-pkg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cmu-ros-pkg/trunk
cmu-ros-pkg

- There is a link on the ros.org camera_drivers webpage
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera_drivers) into the correct wiki
location where the cameradc1394 webpage is stored. I'm not sure why
you feel it is hard to locate.....

- the README in the top source directory was old and contained nothing
useful, i just deleted it

- I think you are the first person that has expressed dissatisfaction
with the way cameradc1394 is structured (no code reviews, etc), I've
tried to stick with the camera API willowgarage publishes as much as
possible. In the past year, it has been hard to keep up with it due to
many changes, but we're actively maintaining cameradc1394. For
example, I just noticed that the API requires a "set_camera_info" and
"request_image" services, which we will add as soon as we have time.

If it makes a big difference for your team that the cameradc1394
resided on WillowGarage's servers rather than sourceforge's, then I'm
sure WillowGarage would be happy to host it.

rosen,