[ros-users] Digital Camera 1394 in ROS?

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 02:53:50 UTC 2010

Blaise Gassend <blaise at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> For me, the question would be how widespread gstreamer is. If it is part
> of all supported distributions, then having a system dependency on it
> isn't a problem for me. Even if gstreamer is not available on a system,
> that will only cause problems when compiling the package that needs
> gstreamer, so only people that need that particular package will have a
> problem.

My primary concern is that gstreamer would introduce another image
stream framework within the ROS image pipeline. That seems
architecturally undesirable. In my mind, what we want is more
analogous to the dc1394src gstreamer plugin Trevor mentioned.

I could be wrong about that and can probably be convinced otherwise.
But, that is my current thinking. We already have two good ROS drivers
based on libdc1394. I am more inclined to pursue those options.

Comments and feedback are (always) welcome...
--
 joq