[ros-users] nodelets for highlevel percetion

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Mon Mar 15 15:41:51 UTC 2010

Hi Uli,

Think about a nodelet as a C++ class with a ROS interface, sitting on top of pluginlib. There aren't a lot of
constraints right now, so you can do pretty much what you want. That being said, the nodelets themselves are just a
small part of a bigger architectural change that we are pushing, that also includes roscpp optimizations, etc.

The nodelet and nodelet_topic_tools are already released under common 1.1, so you can already give them a try.

We are working on constructing a set of library layers on top of nodelets, including stacks for 3D point cloud
processing (PCL), 2D image processing (IPL?), and machine learning (MLL?). PCL has already been released with
point_cloud_perception 0.1, while the others are being developed right now. These stacks/packages should provide good
examples on how to use the nodelets architecture for 2D/3D processing and learning.

Cheers,
Radu.