[ros-users] Digital Camera 1394 in ROS?

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 16:22:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Peshala <peshala at hlab.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:

>> Initial check-in for ROS port of Player camera1394 driver committed to
>> ros-pkg/trunk/stacks/camera_drivers_experimental/camera1394.
>>

>> Please check it out, give it a test, and provide feedback on code,
>> function, bugs, packaging, ... (anything that seems relevant).
>>
>> Known questions and issues:
>>

>> * I still need to write a wiki page for the documentation.
>>

>> * The code is GPL due to the Player driver license
>>

>> Should we contact all the authors and try to relicense it to BSD?
>> (Note that it depends on libdc1394, which is LGPL.)
>>
>> * It publishes CameraInfo and rviz can display images, but rviz
>> complains about a bad P value (projection matrix).
>>

> Hi,
>
> I am quite new here. I am using a Point Grey Dragonfly2 camera via
> IEEE1394 interface.
> I managed to get the camera_experimental_drivers stack and I could run
> the camera1394 node. rxgraph also displays the connections correctly.
> However, when I ran the rviz to see the images, it says "No CameraInfo
> received" and "No image received" so nothing is displayed. The image
> Topic I subscribed is /camera1394/image
> What has gone wrong?

The current version publishes /<nodename>/camera/image_raw for
compatibility with the other camera drivers. It should display in
rviz, although rviz will complain:

  Status error
  CameraInfo/P resulted in an invalid position calculation (nans or infs)

I am still trying to figure out how to build a default camera matrix
to eliminate that error message. I'll open a bug report on it if I
can't come up with a solution soon.

You can update svn and try it again. To find the correct topic name in
rviz. click on the [...] box to the right of the Image Topic field
under Camera.

Thanks for the report,
--
 joq