[ros-users] rosbag looping and recording of parameters/services

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Thu Mar 18 18:18:21 UTC 2010

Dejan,

These are definitely two of the larger problems with rosbag play at
the moment and they keep getting pushed on account of being
non-trivial to solve.

With respect to a), as you mention, the time- and
state-discontinuities make this reasonably complicated.  Could you
provide me with some more information on your particular use-case?
The more I can understand about why it is that people keep requesting
this feature, the better job of addressing it I can do.  At the
moment, I believe your best bet is going to be to have rosbag play
publish the clock for you (using the --clock optioin), and then
between each iteration of the loop, you are going to need to publish
an empty message to the "/reset_time" topic.  There is an open ticket
(https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/1580) to have rosbag play do
this time-reset for you.  Unfortunately, a search for "reset_time" on
the wiki does not provide any detailed information on what the
ramifications of this time-resetting is going to be on your nodes.  As
long as your nodes are not too stateful, I think this will do the
trick though.

As for b) there is a plan to figure out the appropriate way of logging
parameters (ticket: https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2425).  This
will most likely be done by subscribing to a specified parameter list,
and on appropriate invocation of rosbag play, re-setting these
parameters over the course of replaying.  In general you don't want to
play back all of the parameters since any node running on your
played-back data would end up fighting with the player over setting
the parameter.  However, until this support is added, your only option
is to do a "rosparam dump" before you start recording and a "rosparam
load" before you start playing back.  This will only work if you are
recording from nodes that do not do any parameter manipulation, but
that is usually a true statement if you just record from sensors and
you do not reconfigure them over the course of your recording.

--Jeremy