[ros-users] callback function on one topic with different message types

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Tue Mar 23 15:03:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:
> I was wondering how I can achieve to have different callback functions
> on the same topic depending on the message types.

hi Ugo,

In ROS, a topic can only carry messages of a single type.  We decided
early on that it would be too confusing if a topic could be of
multiple types. So roscpp doesn't support multi-type callback
registration.

(Note that the type of a topic actually can change over time, as it's
determined by the publisher that most recently advertised the topic.
But in a well-behaved ROS system, topics are stably typed).

	brian.