[ros-users] install individual ros packages - urdf / kdl

Ugo Cupcic ugo at shadowrobot.com
Wed Mar 24 17:43:18 UTC 2010

Dear Tully,

Here is the error I get when trying to run rosdep install robot_model:

rosdep install robot_model
Warning: could not identify ['robot_model'] as a package
Usage: rosdep [options] <command> <args>

Commands:

rosdep generate_bash  <packages>...
rosdep satisfy <packages>...
   will try to generate a bash script which will satisfy the
   dependencies of package(s) on your operating system.

rosdep install <packages>...
   will generate a bash script and then execute it.

rosdep depdb <packages>...
   will generate the dependency database for package(s) and print
   it to the console (note that the database will change depending
   on which package(s) you query.

rosdep what_needs <rosdeps>...
   will print a list of packages that declare a rosdep on (at least
   one of) ROSDEP_NAME[S]

rosdep where_defined <rosdeps>...
   will print a list of yaml files that declare a rosdep on (at least
   one of) ROSDEP_NAME[S]

rosdep check <packages>...
   will check if the dependencies of package(s) have been met.

rosdep: error: No Valid Packages listed

When I try to run: rosmake robot_model, I get the following error:
[ rosmake ] Packages requested are: ['robot_model']
[ rosmake ] Logging to directory
[ rosmake ] /home/hand/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20100324-174008
[ rosmake ] Expanded args ['robot_model'] to:
[]
[ rosmake ] WARNING: The following args could not be parsed as stacks or
packages: ['robot_model']
[ rosmake ] ERROR: No arguments could be parsed into valid package or
stack names.

To set up my environment:
- I ran the rosinstall command: ~/rosinstall ~/ros
http://ros.org/rosinstalls/boxturtle_base.rosinstall
- then make in ~/ros/ros
- then exported the different variables for ros to my .bashrc.
- then 'rosmake roscpp' and 'rosmake rospy' and 'rosmake std_msgs'
The roscore is working fine, I have access to rxconsole, etc...

Cheers,

Ugo