[ros-users] using navigation to move a robot

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 21:29:50 UTC 2010

Ben,

I'm at Case Western Reserve University and I recently went through
getting the navigation stack up and running on our mobile robots.
First off, after getting a joystick controller working so I could
verify that my cmd_vel was working properly, I followed these
tutorials: http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/RobotSetup and
http://www.ros.org/wiki/slam_gmapping/Tutorials/MappingFromLoggedData
in order to build a map for the nav stack to use. Have you looked at
both of those tutorials and maybe tried using launch files instead of
spawning things individually?

I can't tell you why your node isn't remapping the topics properly.
I've never had an issue with it. Have you tried having your interface
code listen to cmd_vel and see if the rest works?

The only time I've seen that error about not being able to find a
valid plan was when either there was no clear path or the robot could
not leave the obstacle space for some reason (usually a bunch of
people crowding around the LIDAR while the robot can't backup because
of a wall).

I've not used simple_navigation_goals. I have been able to
successfully command the nav stack using rviz to send goals. What sort
of results do you get when you have rviz sending goals to
move_base_simple/goal?

- Eric Perko
wisesage5001 at gmail.com
eric.perko at case.edu