[ros-users] image_proc doesn't work with camera1394

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 21:00:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Eric Perko <wisesage5001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
>>Are there images on any of the other image_proc topics?  image_mono,
>> or image_rect for example
>
> Nope, doing 'rosrun image_view image_view
> image:=/left/camera/image_mono' doesn't work and neither do any of the
> other image_proc topics. I get a blank window with no image in it.

Not for me, either.

>> Are there actually no publications, or is the image just empty?  what
>> does: "rostopic hz test_camera/camera/image_color" tell you?
>
> Trying that:
> eric at ericps-apple:~$ rostopic hz /left/camera/image_color
> subscribed to [/left/camera/image_color]
>
> and no other output, so it just subscribes to the topic then sits and waits.

It's not getting published at all.

>> What do you get if you run "rostopic echo
>> /test_camera/camera/image_raw.encoding".
>>
>> I'm wondering if the raw image is possibly coming in with an encoding
>> that image_proc doesn't know how to handle.
>
> eric at ericps-apple:~$ rostopic echo /left/camera/image_raw.encoding
> WARNING: topic [/left/camera/image_raw.encoding] does not appear to be
> published yet

Mine returns rgb8.

> That seems like it could be a problem... what does image_proc do if
> there is no encoding being published? Can image_view handle viewing
> images without an encoding specified but image_proc needs one in order
> to function?
>
>> Could you also "rostopic echo /test_camera/camera/camera_info" and
>> send the contents of that with your next message?  If the camera
>> calibration matrices aren't being populated correctly that could also
>> explain image_proc failing.

I am still running with fake calibration data or none, because my
attempt to run calibration earlier today failed with a crash in
cameracalibrator.py (will report more on this later).

But the (lack of) results are the same either way.

Here are my fake values, as suggested on this list. I have a Unibrain
Fire-i camera running in "640x480_rgb" video mode with  a theoretical
focal length of 4.3mm.

header:
  seq: 139517
  stamp: 0
  frame_id: /test_camera
height: 480
width: 640
roi:
  x_offset: 0
  y_offset: 0
  height: 0
  width: 0
D: [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0]
K: [0.0043, 0.0, 319.5, 0.0, 0.0043, 239.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0]
R: [1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0]
P: [0.0043, 0.0, 319.5, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0043, 239.5, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0]

These fake values are good enough that rviz will display the raw image
while reporting "status: OK". Rviz reports "no image" for the
image_proc output topics.

>> Lastly, I don't suppose there are any warnings or errors being
>> published to rosout?
>
> I haven't seen any warnings beyond the one I got after trying to echo
> the encoding as above. If it helps, I have attached the contents of
> the logging directory for the launch I did to test all of these
> things.

None at all for me. I've had rxconsole running the whole time.
--
 joq