[ros-users] image_proc doesn't work with camera1394

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Sun Mar 28 00:13:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Eric Perko <wisesage5001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else been able to get any 1394 camera working with
>> image_proc using either camera1394 or an older 1394 driver?
>
> Yes!
>
> I just noticed that camera1394 was publishing a zero time stamp.
> (Didn't we used to get warnings about that?).

That explains the problem.  The time-synchronizer, which synchronizes
the image and camera_info messages requires that the two messages have
the same timestamp.

We no longer get warnings because, I believe, the time in the header
is no longer a magic/privileged field since auto-filling based on
ros::Time::now() is seldom actually the right behavior.

However, I am surprised that the time-synchronizer (inside of
image_proc) is not producing warnings about not finding matching
timestamps, this seems like something that would be very helpful in
debugging this kind of problem.

--Jeremy