[ros-users] Digital Camera 1394 in ROS?

Patrick Beeson beeson.p at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 19:06:13 UTC 2010

Dejan Pangercic wrote:
> When I checked "dmesg" command I noticed that the kernel does not
> really react to plugging/unplugging of the camera. I have necessary
> ubuntu packages installed (libdc1394-22-dev, libdc1394-22,
> libraw1394-8, libraw1394-dev) and the /dev/[raw | video]1394 files
> with writing rights are there as well. Usual fallback to get images
> with "coriander" software also failed.
>
> I guess my questions would now be:
> a)Has anyone else experienced the similar behaviour?

Not recently.  What happens when you run 'sudo coriander'?  (assuming
you have sudo priveleges.)  If that works then this is a privileges problem.

> b)Is the system installation of libdc1394-22-dev and libdc1394-22
> actually needed (given camera1394 pkg depends on libdc1394v2)?

Post-Hardy (08.04), all Ubunyu systems use the libdc1394 v2 API.  The
libdc1394v2 ROS package guarantees that older machines will have the
version 2 API, but I believe that the ROS package looks to see if
libdc1394 is already installed for newer Ubuntu distros.  So, I'd
recommend keeping the libdc1394-22-dev Ubuntu package installed.

> c)According to https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Release_Notes#Linux_2.6.31,
> the old FireWire drivers are slowly getting deprecated. How will this
> affect/fit into the camera1394 pkg?

I do not think these changes will affect the higher-level libdc1394
libraries.