[ros-users] Writing images to different directories

Patrick Mihelich mihelich at willowgarage.com
Wed Mar 31 23:28:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Patrick Bouffard <
patrick.m.bouffard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now normally if I start
> image_view manually and click on the window it will save frames to the
> current directory. But it seems like if it's started in a launch file,
> the image isn't saved anywhere.

It should be saved to $ROS_ROOT.

So my question is, is there any quick way to specify a specific
> directory (that I have write access to) to image_view when it is
> started via a launch file?

Yes, you can set the ~filename_format parameter prefixed with an absolute
path. From the command line:

$ image_view image:=my_image_topic
_filename_format:=/my_absolute_path/frame%04i.jpg

You can also use that parameter to change the naming and image format. All
the parameters are documented at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/image_view#image_view-1.

-Patrick