[ros-users] Navigation stack in Stage

Gorka Azcune gazcune at fatronik.com
Tue May 11 13:20:59 UTC 2010

Hello ROS community,

We are trying to test the navigation stack in Stage. Even though we
follow the Navigation tutorial and have a look at the package
move_base_stage as an example, we cannot use navigation successfully.
When we launch our .launch file, it seems everything goes fine. However,
when we send a goal to move_base, the robot starts rotating and writes
several warnings:

[WARN] 1777.800000000: The origin for the sensor at (-0.03, -0.06, 0.15)
is out of map bounds. So, the costmap cannot raytrace for it.

[WARN] 1777.700000000: The robot's start position is off the global
costmap. Planning will always fail, are you sure the robot has been
properly localized?

The first one is the most common one, while the second one appears
sometimes. We are using the willow-full.pgm map, centred in (0, 0, 0)
(in stage) and with 0.1 metres/pixel resolution for map_server. We set
amcl initial pose to (0, 0, 0), which is the pose where the robot
starts. And the strangest thing is that those warnings do not appear
always even though we launch the same launch file. We have checked all
the files against the move_base_stage package and it seems everything
makes sense.

On the other hand, we also have seen that when we move the robot using
the mouse in Stage, the transform between the map and the sensor origin
becomes faulty. For example, when the robot is at (0, 1), the origin of
the sensor is said to be at (0.44, -0.01). Notice that we are using the
erratic model provided in the stage package.

We don't know where the problem(s) is(are). Does anybody have a clue?
Thanks in advance!

______________________________

Gorka Azkune Galparsoro

Kontrol eta IKT Saila

Departamento de Control y TIC

Control and ICT Department

FATRONIK
Mikeletegi Pasealekua, 7 - . Teknologi Parkea
E-20.009 Donostia (Gipuzkoa)-Spain

Telf: (+34) 943 005500
Fax: (+34) 943 005511
e-mail : gazcune at fatronik.com