[ros-users] URDF: XML formalism

Nicolas nicolas at shadowrobot.com
Tue May 11 14:13:17 UTC 2010

Hello ROS Community,

I would like to inform people who are in charge of the ROS Wiki that the
URDF/XML tutorial is not up to date. I noticed that the formalism is not
the same anymore: for instance, the tutorial does not mention the fact
that the tag <material> requires a name (<material name="blablabla">).
Another thing, the <color> tag does not work as shown on the tutorial
anymore: <color rgb="0 255 255" alpha="1.0"/> is not recognized when the
file is parsed, it has to be <color rgba="0.7 0.7 0.7 1.0"/>

Maybe an update of that tutorial would be nice !

About this new rgba notation: what are the figures used for the R, G and
B values ? They are not the 0-255 basic values for the RGB system, and I
cannot find what it is.

Thank you by advance,

Nicolas Goossaert