[ros-users] ROS Tutorials - installing turtle_teleop

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Tue May 11 15:10:58 UTC 2010

Hi everyone!

I've just started with ROS.

I installed ROS on Ubuntu 10.4 following the tutorial on the website. I
installed boxturtle_base, after which I installed the tutorials.

When I started doing the tutorials I ran into some problems. At the 3rd
tutorial, when I try to install turtle_teleop I get the following:

$ rosdep install turtle_teleop
Failed to find stack for package [joy]
Failed to load rosdep.yaml for package [joy]:Cannot locate installation of
package joy: [rospack] couldn't find package [joy].
ROS_ROOT[/home/blazz/ros/ros]
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_pkg_tutorials:/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_tutorials:]
Failed to find stack for package [spacenav_node]
Failed to load rosdep.yaml for package [spacenav_node]:Cannot locate
installation of package spacenav_node: [rospack] couldn't find package
[spacenav_node]. ROS_ROOT[/home/blazz/ros/ros]
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_pkg_tutorials:/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_tutorials:]
Failed to find stack for package [ps3joy]
Failed to load rosdep.yaml for package [ps3joy]:Cannot locate installation
of package ps3joy: [rospack] couldn't find package [ps3joy].
ROS_ROOT[/home/blazz/ros/ros]
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_pkg_tutorials:/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_tutorials:]
Failed to find stack for package [wiimote]
Failed to load rosdep.yaml for package [wiimote]:Cannot locate installation
of package wiimote: [rospack] couldn't find package [wiimote].
ROS_ROOT[/home/blazz/ros/ros]
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_pkg_tutorials:/home/blazz/ros-tutorials/ros_tutorials:]
[rosstack] couldn't find dependency [joystick_drivers] of
[ros_pkg_tutorials]
[rosstack] missing dependency
executing this script:
 set -o errexit
#No Packages to install

So it seems I'm missing the drivers on the joystick_drivers stack. I look
for it and it seems to be missing:

$ rosstack find joystick_drivers
[rosstack] couldn't find stack joystick_drivers

However when I go to the ros folder I have it under stacks:

blazz at blazz-ros:~/ros$ ls
ros  setup.sh  stacks  this.rosinstall
blazz at blazz-ros:~/ros$ cd stacks/
camera_drivers/       driver_common/        imu_drivers/
 navigation/           simulator_stage/      visualization/
common/               geometry/             joystick_drivers/
physics_ode/          slam_gmapping/        visualization_common/
common_msgs/          image_common/         laser_drivers/
 robot_model/          sound_drivers/
diagnostics/          image_pipeline/       laser_pipeline/
simulator_gazebo/     vision_opencv/

What am I missing here?

Thanks for the help.

Gonçalo Cabrita