[ros-users] import rospy "no module named msg"

Brett Graham graham at rowland.harvard.edu
Sat May 15 17:05:21 UTC 2010

I'm trying to load rospy on a computer that does not have ros installed on it.

When I try:
import rospy

I get the following error:

ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

pysrc/<ipython console> in <module>()

pysrc/rospy/__init__.py in <module>()
     42 from roslib.rosenv import ROS_ROOT, ROS_MASTER_URI,
ROS_HOSTNAME, ROS_NAMESPACE, ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, ROS_LOG_DIR
     43
---> 44 import rospy.core
     45 import rospy.init
     46

pysrc/rospy/core.py in <module>()
     47 import xmlrpclib
     48
---> 49 import roslib.msg
     50 import roslib.rosenv
     51 import roslib.roslogging

ImportError: No module named msg

I don't have the option to install ros on the computer (it's my phone
:) ). Is there a way to get around this, or am I misunderstanding how
to load rospy?

Thanks in advance for your help.