[ros-users] Shared memory image plugin

Cedric Pradalier cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch
Sat May 8 00:04:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

this discussion raised my curiosity, so I created a small test program
to evaluate the advantage of using shared memory. The program is quite
simple: on one end a publisher is creating an image of some size, and
publishing it with a timestamp given by ros::Time::now(), on the other
end, a receiver is receiving the image, and recording the difference
between ros::Time::now() and the image timestamp.

I made this test for 1000 images, from 640x480x1, 640x480x3,
1500x1000x3, 3000x2000x3. The results are summarised in the attached pdf.

I also attach the test file so that someone can point out if something
is wrong in my test.

The bottom line is: for big object, shared memory transfer reduces
significantly the delivery delay.

I hope that helps.

Best