[ros-users] erratic gazebo path planning

hitesh dhiman hitesh.dhiman.1988 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 05:38:17 UTC 2010

Hi all,
Thanks for your reply. Actually we've been trying to get this working on our
robot for quite some time now, about a month or so. I think it would be
better if I explain the situation to you in detail. Our configuration is as
follows:

Local and Global costmap Frames:  Local - base_link, Global : odom

We are using the simple_navigation_goals package to send goals to our robot.

Target frame for the goal: odom

The environment is unknown, and we are not using any map.
The odometry information is gathered in the form of x, y distance, and yaw
angle from the robot, and transformation from odom to base_link is as
follows:

For distances:
x : x_from_odometry - delta_x ,
y : y_from_odometry - delta_y ,
z : 0

For rotation:
(0, 0, yaw_angle : yaw_from_odometry - delta_yaw)

Here, all the delta values are previous values taken in from the robot.
We have a transformation of (000, 000) from base_link to laser, and same for
base_link to robot_footprint.
While visualizing all this in rviz, we can see that the costmap works,
inflated obstacles work, and path planning also works perfectly. For a goal
of 2m forward, the path actually curves around obstacles. However, we don't
see any local plan, and the robot does not follow the path generated. We've
tried changing the parameters, but since the path planning works perfectly,
we feel the problem has to be somewhere else.
We thought the problem might be with our odometry and velocity data
communication with the robot, but we've checked our odometry data and
implementation of the velocity commands, and there was no error as such.
Initially there was a delay in odom->base_link  and base_link->laser tf, so
we tried to do a waitfortransform(odom->base_link) in the base_link->laser
tf, and now the buffer for both is 4.014 and 4.007 seconds. The frequency is
different for both, (12Hz and 15 Hz).
Still no luck.
What do you think is the problem here?