[ros-users] crash importing opencv on mac python

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon May 10 17:33:50 UTC 2010

Python has had a scattered history with OS X releases, making it a
problematic target. Snow Leopard brings Python up-to-date, but it
unfortunately creates compatibility issues with cross-platform graphical
frameworks.

One of the things that's being debated for C-Turtle is how to package Python
this time around. The options are:

1) status quo: py25-* packages via MacPorts
2) py26-* packages via MacPorts
3) easy_install for all Python packages, use system installation of Python

I'm starting to lean towards #3, based on the fact that I've experienced
numerous Python regressions with the MacPorts packages (e.g. ipython and
readline), but feedback is always welcome. I would like a solution that
works well with both 10.5 and 10.6, though the large discontinuity between
those OSX releases makes maintaining both difficult (even from a Python
perspective).

 - Ken