[ros-users] Occupancy grid map with customized sensor model

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Fri May 14 17:03:53 UTC 2010

Dan,

Sorry its taken a bit to get back to you. You are correct that costmap2D is
not representing the likelihoods of obstacles in the environment. We chose
to do this for efficiency reasons, but we do have the luxury of sensors that
have reasonable precision, so it hasn't been a big issue for us.
Unfortunately, gmapping's occupancy grid is, to my knowledge, the closest we
come to having code for the probabilistic case.

If you decide to write a probabilistic occupancy grid, I'd be happy to
answer any questions you have along the way. Also, we could work on getting
it into the navigation stack at some point as its code that would be nice to
have available to everyone.

Hope all is well,

Eitan