[ros-users] move_arm tutorial - Moving the arm to a pose goal

Sachin Chitta sachinc at willowgarage.com
Mon May 17 05:12:48 UTC 2010

Hi Advait,

Yes, the helper functions are only in C++ right now. You will be able
to address the move_arm node directly from both C++ or python using
the underlying action API. Have a look at this tutorial for how you
can specify pose goals directly without needing the extra helper
functions (http://www.ros.org/wiki/move_arm/Tutorials/MoveArmPoseGoalComplex)

 I don't have python tutorials but you should be able to follow the
python tutorials for actions
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/actionlib_tutorials/Tutorials/Writing%20a%20Simple%20Action%20Client%20%28Python%29).

I will be happy to accept a python version of the helper functions though :-)

Sachin

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Advait Jain <advait at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to replicate the functionality of this tutorial from a
> python node -
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/move_arm/Tutorials/MoveArmPoseGoal
>
> It isn't clear to me if there is a python equivalent for this function:
> move_arm_msgs::addGoalConstraintToMoveArmGoal(desired_pose,goalA);
>
> Am I missing something or do I need to write my own python
> versions for addGoalConstraintToMoveArmGoal (C+ code in
> move_arm_msgs/utils.h) and
> poseConstraintToPositionOrientationConstraints
> (motion_planning_msgs/convert_messages.h) to use the
> move_arm package from python?
>

> Advait

Sachin Chitta
Research Scientist