[ros-users] iCreate Roomba with ROS

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Mon May 17 10:02:32 UTC 2010

Thanks for your input on this matter.

I have a driver for Player for the Roomba 500 Open Interface. It is divided
in 2 layers, the Player driver class and the Open Interface class, both in
C++. I would like to use my Open Interface class with a new class on top
that I will write by taking a look at your icreate driver for the ROS
specific stuff.

I'll be working on this throughout the week, once I have something working
I'll share with everyone.

So far we have identified 3 types of interfaces for Roombas.

1) Roomba Serial Control Interface (SCI) for the Roomba 4xx series.
http://www.irobot.lv/uploaded_files/File/iRobot_Roomba_500_Open_Interface_Spec.pdf

2) Roomba Open Interface (OI) for the Roomba 5xx series. We use these here
(540 and 560).
http://www.irobot.lv/uploaded_files/File/iRobot_Roomba_500_Open_Interface_Spec.pdf

3) Create Open Interface
http://www.irobot.com/filelibrary/pdfs/hrd/create/Create%20Open%20Interface_v2.pdf

I'm not sure how popular Roombas are among the ROS community, but it would
probably be a plus to have a node for the Roomba and Create robots.

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra
Portugal