[ros-users] Messaging Performance

Cedric Pradalier cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch
Tue May 18 18:00:29 UTC 2010

Charlie Thomson wrote:
> We're experimenting with ROS, and before diving too deeply into it I
> was wondering if anyone had some performance metrics on the messaging.
> How many messages per second can one reasonably expect on modern
> hardware, how many bytes per second, when would it be a good idea to
> switch over to nodelets and bypass lo entirely, that sort of thing.

Hi,

A couple of week ago, I've posted a pdf with performance evaluation for
inter-node only using local TCP or Sharedmemory. I measured message
delivery time, and message frequency, as a function of message size.
Search for the "Shared memory image plugin" thread.

Obviously, these transports cannot compete with the nodelet architecture...

HTH

--
Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp