[ros-users] Issues with rviz

Jan Elseberg j.elseberg at jacobs-university.de
Thu May 20 08:37:06 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get our robot to work with the navigation stack of ros.
I've been following the tutorial on
http://www.ros.org/wiki/navigation/Tutorials/RobotSetup . After setting
up the robot with a tf-tree and sensor nodes , I have noticed a problem
with rviz. I am unable to display the laserscan messages in any frame
other than the laser coordinate system itself, i.e., whenever I select a
<Fixed_Frame> other than /front_laser the status of the laser scan
display shows the error:

"Unknown reason for transform failure".

Also, this warning appears in the bash:

[WARN] 1274341043.701801000: MessageFilter [target=/base_link ]: Dropped
99.03% of messages so far. Please turn the [ros.rviz.message_notifier]
rosconsole logger to DEBUG for more information.

Doing so gives me these repeating debug messages:

MessageFilter [target=/base_link ]: Added message in frame /front_laser
at time 1274341252.994, count now 10
MessageFilter [target=/base_link ]: Removed oldest message because
buffer is full, count now 10 (frame_id=/front_laser,
stamp=1274341252.813649).

This suggests a problem with the tf-tree to me. However, when using the
"transformPoint(...)" function of tf::TransformListener in my own nodes
to transform the laser scan into the global frame everything works as
intended with no errors/warnings.

Does someone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for any help!

Jan Elseberg