[ros-users] ROS basics

Billy Okal b.okal at jacobs-university.de
Sun May 23 11:34:54 UTC 2010

Hey

This page explains some basic of what ROS is and basic structure
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/StartGuide

There are numerous tutorials of ranging difficulty, Here are some basic
ones,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Tutorials

In the tutorials, it is explained how you write the code be in python, c++ ,
whatever and how you compile it and run it.
e.g
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Tutorials/WritingPublisherSubscriber%28c%2B%2B%29

Maybe if you could explain how you want to use ros(on a PC, ...) it would be
easier to pinpoint exact tutorials to look at

Cheers,

billy

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Narasimhan Rajagopal <
narasimhan1990 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> I am installing ROS at present. i'm totally new to ROS and am not used to
> the commands in ubuntu. i have previously worked with avrstudio which had a
> simple 3 step procedure
> 1. write proram in c or any other language
> 2. compile, debug and build it
> 3. connect the microcontroller to pc and burn
>
> so i need a few simple sample programs to start with ROS and a step by step
> procedure of how to complie build and execute/burn the programs.
>
> my 1st project is to move a simple robot using ROS and my 2nd project is to
> control a robot arm using ROS. and the deadline to complete my 1st project
> is june 5th. so i need to get started right away. and thanks for clearing my
> childish doubts

sure vi is user friendly, its just particular about who to be friends with