[ros-users] $PYTHONPATH in launch files

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue May 25 16:26:55 UTC 2010

My comments have been added to the ticket, but to summarize here:

   1. roslaunch automatically will include roslib/src on your
PYTHONPATH in the remote launch
   2. 3rdparty Python dependencies need to be system installed (via
rosdep) or made into ROS packages, just like any other dependency, in
order to be portable. If you follow this model, then there should be
no need to set PYTHONPATH manually.
   3. In the odd event that another location needs to be added to the
PYTHONPATH, roslaunch supports an $(env FOO) syntax to parameterize
this particular setting. This behavior is encouraged as it exposes the
fact that any user of that launch file has to manually perform
additional setup on each machine the launch file is used.  You can
also use $(env PYTHONPATH) to push your current PYTHONPATH to the
remote machine, assuming you are using NFS or identical layouts.

 - Ken