[ros-users] ros debian

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Wed May 26 18:27:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Narasimhan Rajagopal
<narasimhan1990 at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> thanks Miguel Prada for replying.
>
> i have already installed ros in my home pc which runs ubuntu 10.04 using the
> precompiled binaries method of ubuntu 9.10.
>
> so if i use the svn method
> (http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Installation/Ubuntu/SVN) and follow till step
> 1.2 as suggested by Miguel Prada won't it affect my original ros install?

The two installs have separate paths and can co-exist just fine.

You have to set your ROS_PACKAGE_PATH correctly to access one or the other.

Because that depends on environment variables, switching back and
forth is cumbersome and confusing. I don't know a good method to
recommend. I usually switch by editing my ~/.bashrc and then running
"source ~/.bashrc" in each open terminal window.

There must be a better way. Perhaps some of the WG folks can suggest
"best practices" for testing with multiple releases.
--
 joq