[ros-users] Standard GPS Message

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Fri May 28 01:08:48 UTC 2010

Okay, cool. Thanks.

I'm actually working in Python, though, and up until now, I've been avoiding
getting involved with the ROS build system-- up until now, it's been more
straightforward to just avoid all the rosbash magic and develop my toy nodes
as standalone scripts. Sorry to have such basic questions, but I wonder if
you could:

Firstly, when I'm setting out to build a new node, it seems it needs to have
a package. Does it need to have a stack too? Or can I just roscreate-pkg,
and then put my python scripts in the src directory?

Secondly, I tried to create my new package outside of $ROS_ROOT--- in a
directory that's a peer to ros and ros-tutorials. However, when I do this,
none of the rosbash tools can find it. Do I need to put my stuff inside of
$ROS_ROOT, or do I need to add to PATH and PYTHONPATH. If so, should I be
doing this by editing the ros setup.sh, or by creating my own?

Again, sorry to be so clueless. These are problems that can be solved in
various ways, but if there's an official ROS Way to do these things, I'd be
glad to observe it.

Thanks,

Mike