[ros-users] [FreeBSD] compiler command line gets mangled in rxtools ?

René Ladan rene at freebsd.org
Fri May 28 17:09:31 UTC 2010

2010/5/28 Brian Gerkey <gerkey at willowgarage.com>:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM, René Ladan <rene at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> The luxrender port of FreeBSD (http://www.freshports.org/graphics/luxrender/)
>> indeed suffers from the same semicolon problem, there they just patch the
>> offending file(s) after they are generated. This is done in the port
>> Makefile itself
>> (comparable to a Ubuntu package source I think). From
>> graphics/luxrender/Makefile:
>>
>> ------8<--------
>> ------8<--------
>>
>> Would it be possible to use a similar trick for ROS (e.g. run 'make
>> configure' to
>> configure everything like detecting installed software and letting
>> CMake do its job,
>> and then run 'make' to compile everything using the generated Makefiles) ?
>
> hi Rene,
>
> Wow, that's not a very pretty solution, but I suppose that it will
> work.  You could try it out by changing rxtools/Makefile to be a copy
> of mk/cmake.mk, with appropriate modifications to insert the sed step
> between running 'cmake' and 'make'.

After patching tools/rxtools/Makefile and running 'make' in the top folder I was
greeted with:
"
You have built the minimal set of ROS tools.
If you want to make all ROS tools type 'rosmake ros'.
Or you can rosmake any other package in your ROS_PACKAGE_PATH.
"

According to /home/rene/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20100528-184813/profile.txt
gtest, genmsg_cpp, and rospack were not build:
* gtest exists as /usr/local/bin/gtest from coreutils
* genmsg_cpp does not exist (?)
* rospack was build earlier

Now for some runtime testing...

> It'd be better to find the root cause and fix CMake itself...

True. I'll see if there is enough interest to fix it. A quick search through the
CMake sources didn't show anything obvious for THREAD_SAFE though.

Regards,
Rene