[ros-users] handling multiple package and stack versions?

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon May 31 18:28:54 UTC 2010

For our own development, we maintain two branches of our code bases:

 * boxturtle
 * latest (which becomes c-turtle)

Our features are frozen for boxturtle, which means that boxturtle
maintenance consists of just patches, while active development is on
latest. We minimize combinatorial issues by applying the branch policy
to all of our packages/stacks.

In the past we tested putting version numbers in <depend> tags, but
found that this was a source of combinatorial blowup.

There's many ways beyond C++ APIs that a package can depend on
another; conditional compilation only covers a small set, and it's far
safer to do the branching policy. We expect, over time, for the state
of the world to mature more, but ROS is being expanded to a
ever-increasing variety of platforms (quadrotors, boats, humanoids,
etc...) that will stress development for the near future.

We recommend minimizing your own overhead by targeting new features at
only one version of ROS at a time (currently boxturtle, but soon
cturtle). We anticipate the uptake of cturtle to be fairly high as
several new features/libraries (nodelets, pcl) are in high demand.

 - Ken