[ros-users] Prosilica GC1020

Steven Bellens steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be
Fri Nov 5 15:44:44 UTC 2010

2010/10/11 Blaise Gassend <blaise at willowgarage.com>:
> Hi Rene,
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
>> First of all, the corresponding tutorial [1] contains launch files that
>> don't seem to match the software in C Turtle. The sample launch files
>> distributed along with the prosilica_camera package, however, work.
>
>> As for using the driver with the GC1020, I had to uncomment all calls to
>> cam_->setWhiteBalance(...) in prosilica_node.cpp to prevent the node
>> from getting stuck at this warning:
>>
>> Could it be that some Prosilica models don't support automatic white
>> balancing? Could the driver handle this case more gracefully?
>
> Making the setWhiteBalance call should be ticketed here:
> https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg
>
> I think that you should be able to determine whether your camera has
> automatic white balance by playing around with SampleViewer in the
> prosilica_gige_sdk package. Are there attributes related to AWB, for
> example?
>
>> [ WARN] [1286554890.197190653]: Reconfigure callback failed with
>> exception Couldn't set white balance mode: Camera or attribute not
>> found:
>>

>> The driver also complains about not being able to read the intrinsics
>> from the camera. This is just a warning and I suspect its origin is the
>> fact that no intrinsic parameters have been written to the user memory
>> area yet.
>
> Correct. This is normal until you calibrate the camera.
>
>> Another issue was caused by the default packet filter ("firewall")
>> configuration in Fedora which leads to the subtle failure mode where
>> communication on the control port works but no images get through. I
>> eventually figured this out but a warning in the wiki documentation
>> might be useful.

I'm experiencing this issue here now as well. The camera reponds on
pings, but ListCameras doesn't detect it. Same goes with the provided
SampleViewer application from prosilica: I find the camera on IP basis
- but the app is not listing it automatically. I've checked the wiki
page and followed all tutorials.
Can you give me any instructions on how to solve this problem?

Steven