[ros-users] Runtime remap

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Thu Nov 11 19:22:04 UTC 2010

Hey all,

Is it possible to remap topics (or other names) at runtime?

The reason I ask is this: We have some simple waypoint navigation running
with a web gui for our platform, but we like being able to use the web gui
to quickly switch over to manual control. Currently, this is implemented
with a "JoySwitch" node, which basically acts as a remapper, and which
receives its remapping directions from the gui. This seems like a terrible
state of affairs, and I'm just wondering what the best course of action is.

Ideally, there'd be some way that the gui could redirect the teleop node's
Twist messages over to the platform's namespace without anyone (itself, or
any other intermediary) needing to actually receive and resend them. Is this
possible? If not, would it be better to have this functionality (the receive
and re-send) baked into the gui node itself?

Thanks,

Mike