[ros-users] Finding ROS masters on a local network

Víctor López victor.lopez at pal-robotics.com
Tue Nov 16 10:16:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm working with ROS on several computers. Furthermore, these computers are
separated in groups, each with it's own local network. So that computers in
group Foo connect to the "ROSMaster Foo", and computers in group Bar to
ROSMaster Bar.

To perform these connections, I have scripts that export one ROS_MASTER_URI
or another, depending on which group the computer running the script belongs
to. But this is a maintenance nightmare because every ROSMaster change
requires an update on the scripts, and every new group requires to modify
the script.

Is there any way to find computers running roscore on a local network so
that I can define my ROS_MASTER_URI to point at them?