[ros-users] Clearing old obstacles from costmap

zdydek zac at mit.edu
Wed Nov 17 22:43:25 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm running into an issue with costmap_2d, not sure if it is a bug or a
parameter that is not set correctly...

Essentially some obstacles do not clear out of my costmap after they have
been moved. More precisely, when an obstacle moves and there is no farther
away obstacle behind it (within the laser range), it is not cleared form the
costmap.

For example, if the robot is driving straight down a long hallway and I
stand directly in front of it, an obstacle appears on the costmap. However,
that obstacle is not removed after I leave, making it difficult or
impossible to continue navigating down the hallway.

My laser scanner is set with "marking: true" and "clearing: true" in my
costmap_common_params.yaml.

Any idea where the problem may lie?

Thanks very much,

-Zac