[ros-users] Reinventing the wheel: training and evaluation of algorithms for objects detection in images

Rodrigo Benenson rodrigo.benenson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 21:09:26 UTC 2010

Hello all.

   I'm contacting you because I am considering starting a new open source
   project to solve a specific problem: training and evaluating objects
   detection algorithms.

   Hundreds of students have been there before: "I want to create a program
   that detects objects in images".
   They choose a dataset for training (e.g. INRIA pedestrians), a feature
   descriptor (e.g. HOG), a machine learning method (e.g. linear SVM), and
   then, they write the code to get it all together.

   In the best case they will take bits and pieces from multiple places and
   spend a few weeks on the glue code. In the worst case they will spend months
   reimplementing existing methods.

   It is time to stop the madness.
   Training detectors for objects detection in images is a specific and well
   defined problem.
   It is time to share our effort and build a reference open source tool to
   solve this common problem.
   We should have an open source tool that provides all the common bits, the
   glue and allows us to focus on what we really care: the algorithms.

   In some sense
OpenCv<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Fopencv.willowgarage.com%2F>2.2
helps a lot to the task, however OpenCv is aimed to be a generic
library
   not a specific application framework. In that sense it will never provide
   the desired "install, run, see the graphs coming out" experience.

   Also ROS.org
<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2FROS.org>helps a lot the
task, by providing a generic framework to create and
   exchange software modules, along with standard tools for messages passing,
   data storage and exploration. However this framework by itself has a non
   negligible learning curve and it is unfamiliar to anyone outside the
   robotics community.

   I currently have my own idea of how things could be. However before
   creating "yet one more framework" I would like to have *your* input on
   the topic.

   I have created a short form to collect your opinions. I would be very
   glad if you could help me go in the right direction by giving your input.

   https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFFzaDlLM1liVGNOS2FENnhrc1VWckE6MQ<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https%3A%2F%2Fspreadsheets.google.com%2Fviewform%3Fformkey%3DdFFzaDlLM1liVGNOS2FENnhrc1VWckE6MQ>

   The form is anonymous and the results are public.

   Based your opinions and ideas I will do my best to move forward an usable
   open source solution.
   Further information will be posted at
   https://wave.google.com/wave/waveref/googlewave.com/w+yH-HOCb6H<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https%3A%2F%2Fwave.google.com%2Fwave%2Fwaveref%2Fgooglewave.com%2Fw%2ByH-HOCb6H>

   Best regards,
   rodrigo benenson phd.

   ps: If you are interested do not hesitate to send me a message. You can
   contact me via github as "rodrigob".