[ros-users] ROS Day @ISR - University of Coimbra

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 14:21:08 UTC 2010

Hi everyone!

For the past few months me and my colleague Pedro Sousa have been learning
ROS and developing nodes for most of the hardware we have on our lab. We are
now working on documentation and cleaning up our repository.

We believe that our next step should be to share what we have learned so far
with the rest of the ISR-Coimbra community of professors, students and
researchers. For this purpose we came up with the ROS Day.

Our goal is to first of all introduce people in the ISR-Coimbra to ROS,
explaining what it can do, what it is meant for and how they can benefit
from it (and how we can all benefit if we all use the same tools). Secondly
we intend to speed up the learning process of our colleagues.

To achieve our goals we were thinking about dividing the ROS Day in 2 parts.
A first session will consist of a presentation with some Q&A at the end. A
second session would be somewhat of a workshop where people could bring
their laptops and we could all do some exploring and coding.

So my question is if anyone has had any experience with this sort of thing
before? What kind of topics would be interesting to approach for a first
contact with ROS? (Always keeping in mind we have just started ourselves!!!)

Also if anyone has got any materials on this subject (like presentations)
they would like to share we would be very thankful.

Any comments and ideas are also welcome :)

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR - University of Coimbra
Portugal