[ros-users] Extending or refining an existing map

Patrick Goebel patrick at casbs.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 26 20:01:26 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have been playing with the amcl and gmapping nodes (truly amazing) and
so far things are working nicely.  One question that I can't seem to
answer from the documentation is this: if I have an existing map from a
previous gmapping session, can I extend it or refine it in a new
session?  For example, suppose my robot maps out only part of my
apartment on a given day.  A few days later, I want to set him loose to
map the rest of the apartment but I'd like to start with the existing
map.  Is this possible?  Gmapping seems to start with a clean slate
whenever it is run.  And I tried running "rosrun mapserver map_saver"
with amcl running but it doesn't look like amcl is updating the map (not
that I was expecting it to).

Thanks!
Patrick Goebel
Behavioral Sciences