[ros-users] slam_gmapping with good localization/bad laser

Ross A Knepper rak at ri.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 27 21:18:09 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I am trying to build a map of a fairly large (tens of meters) indoor area
using slam_gmapping.  My robot uses the StarGazer localization system from
Hagiosonic, which provides an absolute pose with small error bounds.  The
robot is also equipped with a Hokuyo URG-04LX-UG01 ladar, which has a
range of only 4 meters and sizeable error on its range readings.  This
situation is opposite to the assumption made by gmapping, which expects
large odometry error and small laser error.  I have tried tweaking various
parameters, but every map I've tried to collect looks terrible.  The
trouble seems to be that there are parts of the room from which walls
cannot be seen with such short range.  The laser does pick up many
furniture legs, but scan-matching of these between iterations introduces a
lot of rotational error.  I perviously mapped the space just fine using a
SICK and the StarGazer (with minimal tweaking of parameters).

What I need to know:
In principle, what are the right parameters to be looking at?  Some of
them are not extremely well documented on the ROS site
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/gmapping).  The site that page points to
(http://openslam.org/gmapping.html) is at this point largely useless, as
the links are either broken or point back to the same page.  So at this
point, it seems the only decent documentation is the academic paper.
This is a shame because many people would be unwilling to digest it (nor
should they have to become a SLAM expert just to build a decent map).

What I have tried:
I have set the parameters srr, srt, stt, and str to zero or near-zero, to
reflect the fact that the minimal amount of odometry error is not
cumulative.  I would like the SLAM software to rely strongly on the
localization data and only very weakly on the ladar scan-matching results.
I therefore increased the parameters sigma and lsigma (which I presume to
be standard deviations related to scan-matching).  These adjustments
actually made the map much worse (it turned a complete 180 degrees so I
saw the same features at both ends of the mapped room).

My transforms are as follows:
base_laser->base_link (static)
base_link->odom (provided by the a Kalman Filter that fuses StarGazer and odometry data)

I performed the following experiment to verify the quality of the
StarGazer fused odometry.  If I broadcast a static null-transform
map->odom, then I can watch in rviz as the robot smoothly drives across
the screen.  Turning on a long Decay Time, I see that the laser readings
are as consistent while driving as they are while standing still.  If, on
the other hand, I run slam_gmapping and let it broadcast the map->odom
transform, then driving the robot causes it to jump around quite a bit in
rviz.  So I'm fairly sure that gmapping is relying too heavily on
scan-matching instead of localization.

At a high level, this seems like a silly problem because what I'm trying
to do is much easier than the hard problem that slam_gmapping is solving.
Yet it has caused me a lot of trouble.  Is there a better tool for the
job?

Any pointers and tips would be appreciated!

  -ross